Blast Furnace, Thorncliffe Ironworks.jpg

The first blast furnace started work in April 1795 followed by another one a year later. Together these blast furnaces were capable of producing 1800 tons of pig iron a year. They were replaced in 1873-74 by two new furnaces that produced 31,000 tons of pig iron a year. These two furnaces, together with a third built in 1913 were eventually replaced by a mechanised furnace in 1927 which could produce 50,000 tons of iron a year. The last pig iron was produced in 1943.

Image Details

Archiving Reference Number NC/011/a/W CHGA
Location Thorncliffe
Source of original material Original from Alan Boulton

Sorry this item cannot be purchased.